Saturday, April 4, 2009

Just blogging

I don't have any pictures ready right now, or I would post them, too. Mark asked me a minute ago if I had posted anything new lately, and I realized I hadn't. So here goes!

Last weekend, we made the spur-of-the-moment decision to go to Abilene, TX. When I say spur-of-the-moment, I mean we decided about 3 hours before we left that we were going to go! In case you don't know, that is a 10-hour car ride from here. So we packed up and left, only to get there at 2:30 in the morning and find out that the reservations that my in-law's had so thankfully made, were lost and they had given away our room. Luckily, at 3:30, we were in a room and settled in for the night. My poor little Chi had gotten carsick on the way, but he was fine (or so we thought) by then. The next day, we just kind of hung out. The hotel we stayed at had several games that you could "rent", and Mark, his brother Aaron, their mom Gloria, and their uncle played several games of shuffleboard. And I thought that was an "old-people" game! That evening, we went to a 50th anniversary party for Gloria's aunt and uncle. (That was the main reason for our trek out west.) It was a nice party. Chi and I went back to the hotel early, because we were both tired and Chi just wasn't acting like himself. So we went back, bathed, and watched tv until we fell alseep. The next morning, we got up and packed for the trip home. Luckily, Aaron rode with us, and he and Malachi did a very good job of entertaining each other! Aaron may just have to come on every long car ride with us from now on! My little boy really is blessed to have such a great uncle.

On the way home, nothing really seemed out of the ordinary. About 40 minutes from home, Malachi started acting bonkers, but that's not really unusual for that time of day. So we thought nothing of his goofiness. We got home and started unpacking, doing laundry, and getting ready for bed. Just as I was sending Chi off to bed, he came over to give me a hug and a kiss, and I noticed he was burning up. Now, just minutes prior to this, he was quite literally bouncing off the walls! We took his temperature and it was around 104*! So we gave him some Children's Motrin, and put him in bed. He, of course, ended up in our bed sometime during the night. The next morning, he obviously couldn't go to school, so he had to come with me to my OBGYN appointment. He did, however, love hearing baby Adam's heartbeat on the doppler! Later that afternoon, I got him in to see his pediatrician. His strep test was negative, but he was still running a high fever and was complaining of a sore throat and was hoarse. He was prescribed an antibiotic and to alternate Children's Tylenol and Motrin until the fever broke. Usually, Malachi is a very healthy child, and on the rare occasion that he has a fever, it typically breaks quickly and on it's own. This stubborn one hung on for 3 days. It was late Wednesday afternoon when his fever FINALLY broke. It had steadily gone down, but just kept hanging on. We were so relieved when it finally left. Mark and I both ran some fever and felt rather yukky this week, but nothing compared to my poor little boy. He is, however, much better now and we are all happy about that!

Today, we went to his friend, Hannah's, birthday party. She turned 3, and we had a fun time celebrating with her at the Trinity Center in Lake Charles.

Well, I'm running out of things to say. (I know, imagine that!) So I guess I'll stop here for now. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pictures soon!

1 comment:

  1. I love random trips! Hard with babies but I still love them!
    MelissaF

    ReplyDelete